Heath Ledger autopsy results reveal accidental overdose
Ross von Metzke and Bryan Ochalla | February 08, 2008
NEW YORK, NY — Autopsy results are in, and the New York City Medical Examiner has determined that 28-year-old actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription medication.
Ledger was discovered in his New York apartment on January 22, setting into motion a media firestorm of speculation and accusation on the actor's apparent drug use.
Now autopsy results have found Ledger died of a lethal combination of anti-anxiety pills and sleep aids. Drugs including generic brands of Valium, Xanax, sleep aids and Oxycodone were found in his system.
The actor was found lying face down, naked and unresponsive in his bedroom two weeks ago by a housekeeper and a masseuse.
Though initial reports suggested Ledger may have attempted suicide, New York Police Department investigators quickly confirmed they found no evidence of foul play or that the actor committed suicide.
At the time, police did say they had found various types of prescription drugs in the apartment.
A spokesperson from the medical examiner's office is expected to make a statement later this week. Ledger is survived by his 2-year-old daughter Matilda with ex-fianc�e Michelle Williams. – Issued by Gay Link Content
Brokeback Mountain star Heath Ledger dead at 28